Pinewood Derby Car Rules
- Details: Details such as steering wheel, driver, decals, painting, and/or interior details are permissible as long as those details do not exceed the maximum length, width, and weight specifications.
- Lubricants: No graphite or any kind of lubricant can be applied inside the building or after weigh in and registration is complete. If a person is caught applying it in the building, the car will NOT be allowed to race.
- Attachments: The car must be free wheeling with no starting devices.
- Track Clearance: There should be a 3/8 inch clearance under the car.
- Numbers: All numbers must be different than last year. The numbers must be on the front of the car. Each cadet must be issued a new number each year.
- Racing: All cars will race in a double elimination type race. If a car loses twice at any time during the race, that car can no longer race in that class, but may come back later for the open class race. The council will use a regulation size track.
- Inspections: Each car must pass inspection by the Official Inspection Committee before it may compete. The inspectors have the right to disqualify those cars that do not meet any of the specifications listed, or its implied spirit. Cars may be inspected again before trophies are handed out for complying to the rules for class.
- Once a car is weighed and inspected, it may not be touched until released by officials.
- Pinewood race scales will be the official scales.
- All cars after 1994 shall be made from official Rush Creek kits.
- Width: Overall width shall not exceed 2-3/4”.
- Length: Overall length shall not exceed 7”.
- Wheelbase: Original kit wheelbase must be maintained.
- Weight: Weight shall not exceed 5 ounces. No loose materials of any kind is permitted in the car. The car may be allowed out and built up to maximum weight by the addition of wood or metal only. It must be securely built into the body. No liquid or moveable weights are allowed. Weights will be provided by the owner of the car.
- Wheels: Only the Illiana Council wheels will be allowed. Bushings are prohibited. Rounding, narrowing, and etc. are prohibited. Turning of wheels with original surface only.
- Suspension: Car must ride on original axles supplied with the kit.
- All cars, including wheels and axles, must be new each year. Failure to comply will result in the loss of any trophy that could be, or has been handed out.
- All cars must have 1/2” flat horizontal surface in front center of car; maximum height 3/4” from bottom of wheels.
- All racing class cars must be built with minimum of father’s help.
Open Racing Class
- Weight: Not to exceed 5 ounces.
- Width: Not to exceed 3”.
- Length: Not to exceed 8”
- All cars must have a 1/2” flat horizontal surface in front center of car.
- Wheels must be same diameter of kit wheels with minimum of 2” between wheels.
- Other racing class cars can race in this class too.
Best Looking Car
Must comply to all rules of racing class or open racing class, but does not have to actually race.